Dambusters: a complete list of everyone who took part in Operation Chastise

The earlier blog entry here is now out of date.

There is now a complete list of all the aircrew who took part in Operation Chastise (the Dams Raid) at my companion Complete Dambusters website. Each of the entries there links back to an individual profile of the man concerned published in the Dambuster of the Day feature on this blog. You can also find individual names by looking in the Categories listing on the right of the page.
Some raw figures extracted from this list:

• 133 men took part in Operation Chastise (the Dams Raid); 19 crews each of 7 men.
  • Eight crews were lost; 53 men were killed, 3 were taken prisoner.
  • Eighty men survived the raid.
  • Of these, 22 were killed serving in 617 Squadron later in the war and 10 more were killed while serving with other squadrons.
  • Only 48 men who took part in the raid survived the war.

I should stress that this is very much a work in progress. Some individual entries point to a range of active internet resources, and I can give no guarantee as to accuracy of content on outside links. Corrections and suggestions for other entries are most welcome! Contact me here.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Dambusters: a complete list of everyone who took part in Operation Chastise

1. Adam Maltby September 20, 2008 / 10:54 am

Hello, I found your blog on the web and was struck by some odd coincidences. My name is Adam Maltby, I am a Blackhawk Pilot in the US Army, currently in Afghanistan. Of the 500,000 soldiers in the Army, there are only 5 Maltbys. Three of us are pilots and not obviously related to each other. My 1 yr old son’s name is David Maltby. Maltby is not a very common name here, thought you may be interested.

2. Carol Hill May 9, 2013 / 9:31 pm

Does any one have any info about the work that had to be done to the aircraft to make them ready to deploy the “bouncing bombs”? My dad, Frank Eric Mills was involved in that work.

3. Sandra Cardwell October 4, 2013 / 5:18 pm

My uncle Jack Barnes was a technician with the 617. Small thing I know, but he was very proud to have had the honour of mending Guy Gibsons watch……. I have copies of a photographs he took whilst with the squadron. Some ground crew, some air crew and odd two or three of persons who may be known to people out there. Would be happy to forward them to you.

4. gary thomas April 11, 2015 / 1:07 am

I have photo of trevor ropers name on local cenotaph in caergwrle flintshire north Wales.his family at the time apparently lived in PLAS TEG…Google it.fascinating as he was born on IOW Shanklin.

• Joseph Harold Pilkington January 7, 2017 / 7:22 pm

Thanks Gary I live in prestatyn I will definitely have a ride across and view the war memorial.
      Did you know that Guy Gibson’s fight enginer John Pulford is buried in Hull .

5. Maggie January 21, 2017 / 5:25 pm

When I was in Half Moon Bay harbour America ,some years ago I was talking to an Australian he told me his mother was a pilot taking aircraft to where ever they were needed during the wwii His best friend wanted to learn to fly and his mother taught him .He later became a Dambuster surviving the raid indeed the war