The earlier blog entry here is now out of date.
There is now a complete list of all the aircrew who took part in Operation Chastise (the Dams Raid) at my companion Complete Dambusters website. Each of the entries there links back to an individual profile of the man concerned published in the Dambuster of the Day feature on this blog. You can also find individual names by looking in the Categories listing on the right of the page.
Some raw figures extracted from this list:
- 133 men took part in Operation Chastise (the Dams Raid); 19 crews each of 7 men.
- Eight crews were lost; 53 men were killed, 3 were taken prisoner.
- Eighty men survived the raid.
- Of these, 22 were killed serving in 617 Squadron later in the war and 10 more were killed while serving with other squadrons.
- Only 48 men who took part in the raid survived the war.
I should stress that this is very much a work in progress. Some individual entries point to a range of active internet resources, and I can give no guarantee as to accuracy of content on outside links. Corrections and suggestions for other entries are most welcome! Contact me here.